Friday, October 30, 2015

Backyard Project

One of the conscious decision I made this summer was to move slowly -- physically, not geographically!  I kept the condo after the separation.  See, one of the messy parts about unweaving two lives is figuring out all the little details.  When emotions and egos are involved, it isn't always a smooth process no matter how much you intended it to be.  That will unfold in another blog post, but today I just wanted to share my summer project.

I knew that I wanted to take full advantage of the summer in Saskatchewan.  So, I reduced my work load at the university (I'm still teaching ESL) because I wanted to spend more time with myself, my friends, and family -- less time inside, more time outside.

So this year I turned my backyard concrete slab into a pretty cool place to chillax.

I was on a mad budget (another side effect of the separation) but I was going to splurge on myself a little.  I set out to spend about $1200 to redo the backyard.

I started with black rubber mats on the concrete.  I bought some furniture that fit the space perfectly.    




I called my dad over and asked him to paint.


I hung some baskets and flowers to add colour


I planted my very first mini garden


Everything grew like crazy, especially the mint.  This is the end of the season photo.


Side note: I brought the fresh herbs inside for the winter.

This was the final product:





It really happy with how it came together and I'm thankful for my family and friends that came over to help me.  I think I was a little over my budget by a couple hundred dollars, but I was okay with that.

This was a very therapeutic fun little process.  I was proud of my hard work. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks so nice and cozy! Great job Jennifer and dad!

Cindy (Samuel, Madalyn, Rachel, Lia and Benjamin )

Anonymous said...

Jen,

Good for you! Your backyard looks beautiful and relaxing. Enjoy!!

I'm glad you had a project that warmed your heart and put a smile on your face. And bravo for almost coming in on budget! :)

Your long time reader.

Anonymous said...

Very cool looking. Looks like a great place to hang out. You (and your helpers) should be proud. :)

Jennifer

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Your backyard looks great!! Nice work girl :-)