Sunday, February 03, 2013

Questions from readers answered

There were two questions last week that I wanted to answer:

Margarita Lee asks, "My husband and I are considering moving to Korea for a few years before our daughter starts school.  Do you have any advice.  I know it will be difficult with the language difference at first.  I would really appreciate some words of wisdom.

My response:  YES, GOOOO!!!  It will be tough and at times you will question your decision.  The experience will be transformational for you and your family.  I say go with an open heart and be willing to experience things that are different.  Challenge yourself and be okay with the discomfort.  As for the language barrier, I think if you lived in Seoul you would find it's not too much of a problem.  Will you stay in Jeju?  Do you think you'll live with your in-laws?  I'd suggest learning Korean early on even if you don't intend to stay in Korea for a long time.  Knowing some of the language will help you form relationships and make your daily life easier.  Please let me know what you decide.

p.s. I'd love to read some of your work.  Is it available to the public?

Aeoise F wanted some advice with Korean language schools.

Sogang is SPECTACULAR.  I LOVED every minute of my time there.  The teaching style is very interactive and the learning environment is really fun.  Yes, it is expensive.  It works out to about $1,500 for 10 weeks, full-time.  So if you are looking for a more affordable school I'd suggest a course at YBM (click to link).  YBM is a private academy which caters to adults.  It is more affordable.  Good luck and have fun!


1 comment:

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

I want to go to Korea. Tonight.