Wednesday, November 14, 2012

This week

This week was a nice good reflective week!  The only bad part is that I don't get to see my lovely friend Krista as I had originally hoped; albeit, it was my decision not to got to North Battleford but it still sucks that I can't squeeze her big baby belly one last time :)

This week I've learned to start saying 'no'.  It started with getting asked to participate in a Masters research thesis project.  I willingly accepted and then when it came time to schedule the interview I realized it would be around the heavy part of the month where I would be pushing to get two major papers complete.  I politely said I was not able to do the interviews on her schedule and asked if I would still be able to participate in December when I'm finished with my classes.  Of course she agreed.

Then yesterday and today I got called in to sub. in the ESL department at the university.  I said no, to both offers.

I'm realizing that I've got to make decisions for me, even if they could potentially disappoint other people.  I'm starting to find that if I don't take care of myself, no one will.

So I'm slowing learning to politely decline offers and the steps are small but recognizable.

Anyone else out there have guilty feelings when they say 'no'?  Am I alone on this matter?


3 comments:

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

I used to feel really guilty for saying no, and wasn't very good at it. I've slowly gotten better as I get older. A prof I had in my last semester of classes told me to never defend your "no." Simply say, "Sorry, I can't make it" etc. without giving a reason. She says it makes it easier, and it's true, it does!

Foreigner Joy said...

Saying no is tough. But if you realistically can't say yes to certain offers, then you gotta do what you gotta do. The only thing I would do is remind these people that you are interested in what they have to offer, just not at this time. YOu want them to still think of you later on, when you will be more free.

Anyway, if you were saying no cause your a lazy ass than that is bad. But you are super busy so you gotta say no! ;)

Anonymous said...

Disagree with Joy. If "your [sic] a lazy ass" and don't want to do something, don't do it. You don't have to be super busy to have a reason to say no.