Monday, October 15, 2012

Lessons from a Korean mother-in-law (part 14)

This is a post, in a series, dedicated to a mother-in-law that I deeply love and dearly miss.  All posts in this series are true events that happened to me.

**********************
Want to read the others first?


When all Asians look alike!

"I saw your girlfriend outside the apartment today," mom told Sung Hyun.  "She was exercising around the track in the front there."

This was when I first started dating Sung Hyun, but after I had met his family once maybe twice.

"She didn't say 'hi' to me," she continued.

"She works from 10 to 6, so it's not Jennifer," Sung Hyun commented.

"No it was her, " she insisted.

Sung Hyun calls me on my cell.  "Today, you teaching?" he asks in English.

"Yes, why?" I question.  "Did you today exercising mom's apartment front?"

"No"

"Today mom see you exercising apartment front"

"No, me no" I reply.

Sung Hyun speaks to his mom in Korean "Jennifer was working today.  It wasn't my girlfriend," he says to his mom.

"YES IT WAS!" mom remarks.  "It was chubby foreigner!" she exclaims.

5 comments:

Tanya said...

Hahaha this one made me laugh.

Ian MB said...

This continues to break me up!

Anonymous said...

Bahaha!!! Love it!!!!

Mel

Foreigner Joy said...

Not surprised. My ex's would say to me when seeing another foreigner nearby, "Oh that is your friend?!" It was cute at first but really annoying later.

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Ahhhh, she is so cute! Keep these stories coming!!!