Thursday, October 04, 2012

Lessons from a Korean mother-in-law (part 13)

This is a post, in a series, dedicated to a mother-in-law that I dearly miss and deeply love.  All posts in this series are true events that happened to me (believe it or not!)

*********************

Part 12 here
Part 1 - 11 here

Mom delicately pressed the ends of my towel together, matching the corners just right.  Her precision and attention to detail was admirable.  Things had to be done a certain way in mom's house.

"It's mom's way," Sung Hyun would often joke.

I knew what he meant.  My mother is the same way.

I watched my Korean mom fold my towel in half like she was piecing together a puzzle.  Then, with a needle and thread she started to sew it together.

"MOM!  What are you doing?" I exclaimed.

"You're towel is too big," she replied.  Mom mumbled something in Korean and I looked to Sung Hyun for translation.  "The towel gets tangled when you wash it with other clothes"

I looked back at mom, still trying to process what was happening.

"So mom is going to sew my towel together every time she does laundry?" I asked Sung Hyun, laughing.

"I dunno, it's mom's way!" he said.


Mom did exactly that.  For the entire duration that we lived with her she sewed my towel together just so it wouldn't tangle up the other clothes.  I often thought it would have just been faster to untangle the clothes rather than sew up the towel.

But that wouldn't have been "mom's way"

6 comments:

Mar Lee said...

I really enjoy reading your blog. I am currently in Korea visiting my inlaws with my 7 month old daugther (we live in toronto,canada). I found your blog very helpful preparing for the trip. I really like Korea. I am suprised how americanized it is. Thank you for writing and keep up the good work!

Why am I here??? said...

Oh Mar Lee, I'm glad I could help. I hope you enjoy your time there with your inlaws. Embrace the differences and laugh at them, rather than let them bother you. Pop in to say 'hi' often. Thanks for reading :)

Foreigner Joy said...

That is so loving of her. Your towel sure was loved too!

ashattack said...

I love how all moms seem to have their own "mom's way." This story especially touched me because my mom also had her own way with towels. They had to be folded in a very specific way. If she saw you folding a different way, she'd snatch the towel out of your hands and fold it herself!

As always, love hearing your stories. How's that book coming along?

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

What a lady!! She could have just washed towels together and then it wouldn't have tangled with anything, lol!

Why am I here??? said...

I love the positive feedback from these posts. Your kind words make my day!