Monday, September 17, 2012

How do you measure the weight of my heart?

Yesterday the reality of Sung Hyun leaving hit home.

This reality came in the form of a mini meltdown.  Let's skip the sublties and call it what it is, shall we?  It was a BREAKDOWN!  And it wasn't mini.

The reality is that his job with the welding union is very transient.  We were very lucky that he worked the last 11 months in our city.  We are only now realizing this.

So he's packed his bags - one with food, one with clothes - and he's planning to leave tomorrow afternoon.  I'm spending the evening with him cuddled up on the couch (and not doing my grad homework, ooooops).

I'm sure good things will come from this experience, but I'm still really sad.


8 comments:

Jacky said...

:( It's going to be rough...but I hope it goes well and all those pros/cons you posted the other day will hopefully smooth out.

Why am I here??? said...

I hope you're right Jacky!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

:-( Totally understandable. I would have a meltdown too in the same situation.

David said...

look at positive and not negative. sunghyun got a job and he is only 2.5 hours away. it could be a lot worse like sunghyun is still unemployed or 6 hours away. my commute time is 2 hours one way every morning for the last 10 years.

Foreigner Joy said...

It will be rough the first month or so, cause you will be getting use to the new situation. But eventually you will make it into your routines, and work in a way to see each other as much as possible.

Anonymous said...

What's the plan exactly? He'll come home on weekends? When will you see each other?

Kendra said...

Ugh I hate the feeling of my husband leaving for work trips. On the other hand the time flies when he is gone and the reunion is that much sweeter. I also seem to get a lot more done without him at the house. Hopefully you are the same and are able to concentrate on your grad work etc when he is out of town and spend nice time together on his days off....it might even result in better quality time for the two of you. I hope it's not long before he is working in Regina again and it is always easier to find a job if you have a job and avoid blanks on the resume. Exciting time! It's only the beginning!

Why am I here??? said...

We are not sure what his work schedule will be yet but I'll make a point to see him as much as I can, I only attend class Tuesday/ Wednesday night so technically I could move there with him. BUT....we are not interested in renting out our house plus we don't know how long he will be gone...could be up to a year. We'll have to play it by ear.

David, that's a crazy drive everyday. Good for you for being able to do it. He's just worried about the winter....he's a bad night driver.

I LOVE the positive perspective Kendra. I think I'll be able to concentrate more on grad stuff too (especially if I get off FACEBOOK!)