Sunday, September 30, 2012

Goals revisited


Remember back at the beginning of September I set out to tackle my goals on a daily, weekly, monthly basis.  The goal for September was to refrain from eating sugar.  My weekly goals were a combination of all forms of health (not just diet and exercise).  And then my daily goals were small achievable tasks.

Well let's examine how the month went, shall we?

I totally rocked the NO SUGAR September.  I turned down numerous sugary desserts throughout the month.  Last night I was badly craving a cupcake.  But I refrained.  Overall the monthly goal was a HUGE success.  YAY!!!

I achieved 3 out of 4 weekly goals.  The one that I missed was exercise 3 times in the week.  I only went out on a small 30 minute walk once.  The other three weekly goals were met.

The daily goals started out strong but then within the last 10 days almost dropped off the map.  This drop is directly correlated with the increase in grad school workload.  This past week I was swamped with assignments that require lots of work.

So if I had to reflect on the past month I'd say overall I did excellent.  I noticed that the first day I wasn't successful with my daily goal that I felt defeated.  The daily goal that day revolved around school.

This was a great exercise for me to do because it made me more reflective.  I noticed that whenever I set goals related to school I FAILED miserably due to the fact that they are too hard to achieve in one day.  Small manageable goals is the key.  I know that.  But when it comes to school I overshoot and think I'm superwoman.

I've learned that I've got to chip away at large school assignments and not get discouraged if I do not get everything I set out to do that day done.  My friend Tanya has recommended breaking down assignments into small steps in the form of a TO-DO list.  This is always the hardest part for me.  My unrealistic standards when it comes to school need to be worked on.  If you have any other suggestions on how to tackle major assignments that seem overwhelming at first it would be greatly appreciated.

So where does this leave me?

Well.......

I'm going to keep on with the monthly and weekly goals and totally drop the daily health goals.  My daily goals will revolved completely around school.  This might help me focus my greatest energy on my studies, which I think is needed right now!

My October monthly goal will be to do 20-30 minutes of reading (academic or personal) 6 days a week.  And I'll keep going with the NO SUGAR September goal for the month of October as well.  I'll be sure to update my fridge with a new chart and report back soon.

What, if any, goals did you set?  Any new goals for October?  What are your plans to achieve them?

7 comments:

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

My goal for October is to try a bunch of new recipes :-)

Foreigner Joy said...

I haven't gotten to setting goals in my life. I think have a frame of reference I aim for. However, goals could help me boost my happiness I think. Right now my goal is to visit the gym 2 or 3 times a week. Plus to watch less internet TV (hulu).

Otherwise I think I already cut myself off from so much anyways haha. Like sleeping late, eating sugar, drinking alcohol, etc. I'm a plain person haha

Kendra said...

I have many goals but my health one was to walk 3 times a week (epic fail). We live so close to eachtother if you ever want to walk together or do some activity get in touch!

Why am I here??? said...

And the maybe share them with me? Yes cut it out. I don't watch any TV now but Internet is bad news.

Kendra you live close to me? Why didn't you tell me that until now. I'm game for a walking buddy!

Why am I here??? said...

* i mean cut it out Joy

권투선수 에이미 [Amy] said...

Keep it up lady! I'm ALL ABOUT goal-making. Love that you posted it on your fridge and it's in such detail. Do you mind if I possibly use this for a Flipside Fitness Weekly Flab to Fab Challenge? I used it the other day;) Great idea!!!

Why am I here??? said...

Yah, no problem Amy!