Friday, September 28, 2012

[EDIT] Doing something ILLEGAL?

[EDIT: updates at bottom]

Well not me, but let me explain.

If you are a student at the University of Regina the Health and Dental plan has changed.  That means you are automatically paying for this fee in your tuition and you must OPT OUT in order to receive your money back ($196.40 for one year, to be exact).  Before, you used to have to opt in to get the benefits package.

SEE HERE'S MY PERSONAL BILL FOR THIS SEMESTER


I'm guessing the insurance company wasn't making enough money, hence the switch.

Anyways, the problem I have with this is that the OPT OUT process is extremely difficult.  You need to log into www.ihaveaplan.ca and then fill out a 5-step form.

I'm fine with forms.  Remember when I had to fill out Sung Hyun's immigration paperwork?

HERE'S THE PROBLEM:

In Step 3 you need to provide PROOF that you have other coverage.  The Saskatchewan Health Card doesn't cut it.  In the section of this form you need to identify:

1) Insurance Company Name
2) Policy / Group Number
3) Subscriber / Certificate Number (optional)

FROM A FREAKING PRIVATE COMPANY!!!!!!

HERE THEY ARE ASKING FOR PERSONAL INFORMATION

THEN, you must submit PROOF of your coverage.  WHAT?!!!!!!!!!

See:
SO EVEN AFTER I'VE GIVE THEM MY PERSONAL INFORMATION THEN I HAVE TO SEND IN MORE PERSONAL INFORMATION JUST TO SHOW YOU I REALLY HAVE A PLAN - HUH?

I'm not a lawyer but this MUST be a complete breach of privacy.

Any lawyers want to pipe in?  I should have the right to opt out of a plan without having to provide personal information.  Not only that, I shouldn't have to have another plan if I want to opt out of this one.

THIS MUST BE ILLEGAL?

NOTE:  YOU MUST OPT OUT BY OCTOBER 2, 2012 IN ORDER TO RECEIVE THE REFUND!!!!

___________________________________________________

UPDATES:

Thanks for the comments.  I realize this is a legislation issue.  Here is what I dealt with today:


I went to the university today and asked if I can show my husbands benefit card as proof.  She said NO because the last name wasn't the same (understandable!).  This morning I had a dentist appointment and had proof that I had submitted a claim to Global Benefits (my husband's provider) in the form of a claim sheet with my personal information on it (printed from the dentist office).  THAT was NOT accepted by the university either because "anyone can print out those forms" 

The problem I see with this personally is what if I don't want a Heath/Dental benefits package?  I should have the right to opt out without providing proof, but I don't (legislation yada yada).  And then when I take in my claim form printed from my dentist's office, it's not accepted as proof.

The kind receptionist at Sung Hyun's office wrote a letter detailing my coverage which I sent in as an attachment  as "proof" that I have another plan.  There should be NO PROBLEMS with getting this cancelled because that is 1 of the 3 possible ways to submit proof of coverage.  

What a long bureaucratic process!


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That doesn't seem right somehow. Seriously, how can they expect you to give them that information when it is none of their business?? You are not required by law to have a health plan, especially living in Saskatchewan. So why would it matter if you had another plan in place or not in order for you to opt out of a health plan that you didn't agree to be on in the first place???? Something is a foul in my opinion....I would call a lawyer and as for some advice.
Good luck. Marie

Anonymous said...

Common practice in place at UofC almost a decade ago and not illegal. Call the university to clarify why.

Anonymous said...

This is a problem with your university's policy, not the insurance company. See this (easily found by searching "University of Regina Health Insurance"):

There is also a Health and Dental plan sponsored by the University of Regina Students’ Union. All undergraduate students who are URSU members and who are taking 9 or more on-campus fall credit hours as well as all graduate students who are URSU members who are taking 6 or more on-campus fall credit hours are automatically enrolled in the plan. Students who already have equivalent coverage may opt-out in order to avoid being charged the mandatory fee. Certain other students can choose to opt-in. For complete details, please refer to the University of Regina Students’ Union web site at http://ursu.ca/ and the insurance carrier’s web site at http://www.ihaveaplan.ca/.

http://www.uregina.ca/gencal/ugcal/servicesForStudents/ugcal_124.shtml

Also:
A growing number of important health-care services are not covered by provincial health care. The plan is a valuable service provided by your Students' Union to fill the gaps left by provincial health care. Even if you are covered by another plan, you can still combine it with your URSU Health & Dental Plan to further reduce your health expenses.

http://ursu.ca/services/ursu_health_plan

Sure, you aren't required by law to have their insurance. You also aren't required by law to be a student there.

Anonymous said...

I'm not positive, but I think a few(meaning at least 7) it became provincial legislation that all post secondary students had additional insurance, hence the need of proof to opt out. I finished in 2007 and back then you had to opt out, not in. same process as now.

Why am I here??? said...

Thanks EVERYONE! I went to the university today and asked if I can show my husbands benefit card as proof. She said NO because the last name wasn't the same (understandable!). But this morning I had a dentist appointment and brought in proof that I had submitted a claim to Global Benefits (my husband's provider) in the form of a claim sheet with my personal information on it (printed from the dentist office). THAT was NOT accepted either because "anyone can print out those forms"

The problem I see with this personally is what if I don't want a Heath/Dental benefits package. I should have the right to opt out without providing proof. And then when I take in proof from my dentist's office, it's not accepted as proof.

It's a little bit ridiculous, this hoop-jumping bureaucracy.

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

I remember having to opt out years ago and provide proof of coverage. I didn't know it ever changed to an opt-in program. I will have to double check and make sure I wasn't charged this term.

David said...

make sure you fight for this. you definitely do not want american healthcare system.

Anonymous said...

You actually have to do this with any job as well. In order to opt out of your work benefits you have to prove that you have other benefits by giving them the policy # and policy holder company. I think that having benefits should be mandatory, I work with hundreds of cancer patients on a daily basis who have chooses not to have coverage for various reasons, and tel me that they were never sick, and didnt need it! But who pays for the expensive drugs that come along with cancer treatment! Some even have to get loans and claim bankruptcy! Having more coverage is better than not enough in my opionion!!

Why am I here??? said...

Really? That's crazy? Are you American or Canadian?

Beloved said...

As an American teaching in the public school system, I had to provide proof of alternate insurance (through my husband's place of work) in order to opt out of the school's health insurance plan. After proving that I had coverage with a different insurance plan, I was given $1000.00/year in lieu of using the school's insurance.