Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Lessons from a Korean mother-in-law (part 10)

This is a post, in a series, dedicated to a mother-in-law that I deeply love and dearly miss.  All posts in this series are true events that happened to me.
 
To see the other stories click HERE!
 
**************************

The scene:  A huge typhoon has work and school cancelled for the day.  This NEVER happens in Korea.  Signs are flying, power lines are blowing over and people are advised to stay indoor.  Oh yah, and a huge ship broke into two.

***

I'm in the main room watching T.V and I hear the door shut as mom leaves the house.  I chase after her out the door and into the apartment hallway "Mom, don't go out today!"

"I need to take out the garbage.  I'm fine, I'm fine

I pull mom inside and tell her that she can take the garbage out tomorrow.  "Take a rest," I say -- a common expression in Korea.

She sits down for 5 minutes before she gets restless. 

"Mom, don't go outside today it's dangerous," I say again in Korean.

"Uhhhhhh," she replies in recognition, not frustration.

Mom goes into the hallway and I ask her what she is doing.  "I'm going to sleep" she answers.  She's been sleeping in the hallway.  A few minutes later Sung Hyun gets up to go to the bathroom.  Mom's gone! 

She snuck out of the house to take out the garbage.  When she returns she opens the door ever so quietly thinking she tricked us.

"Mom, what did you do outside?" I call from the main room.  Silence. "Mom, I told you not to go out.  Mooooom.  Mooooom."

"Stop saying Mooooom.  Do you call me because you want to drink my milk" she shoots back.

1 comment:

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Bahahahaha, she is the funniest ever! I want a Korean mom!