Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Lessons from a Korean mother-in-law (part 8)

First:  thanks for all the positive support with these posts about my mom.  I love writing them so it's extra special that you enjoy reading them.

This is a post, in a series, dedicated to a mother-in-law that I deeply love and dearly miss.  All posts in this series are true events that happened to me (SERIOUSLY, I COULDN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP!)

Here are the others:  part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4, part 5, part 6, part 7

BABY TALK CONTINUES....but this time I strike back!

I was expecting the baby talk.  I knew mom was going to ask us about this.  But I didn't expect to have to answer the "when are you having a baby?" question several times a day.  So instead of getting mad, I've decided to play back.  Finding humour, in situations like these, is what keeps me smiling. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As mom squeezed my hand on the ride home from the airport she turned to look at me, "daughter-in-law, you don't have a baby?" she questioned.  I responded, as per usual.

"How old are you?" she asked.

"In Korean age I'm 30 or 31" I replied.  In Korea, upon your birth you are already one and then you gain another year everytime the year changes.  I'm 29 in Canada.

"WOOOOOOW! You need to make a baby soon.  It's too difficult for you!" she exclaimed.

This time sister-in-law spoke "mom, they are not ready to have a baby now.  After Jennifer finishes school in two years they will have a baby.  They are too busy now".

"I understand, I understand" mom answered.

She looked at me, but this time I squeezed her hand.  "Mom, don't worry!  Tonight, I'm going to make a baby!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The following day, upon returning home Sung Hyun and I agreed that the only way we were going to cool down was if we took a shower.  Sung Hyun joked that we should have one together.

"Mom, Sung Hyun and I are going to shower together," I said.  "Is that okay?"

"What? say again" mom questioned.
 
"I'm going to shower with Sung Hyun, okay?"

"NO!  Don't do that!!!!!"

"Then how will we make a baby?"

"I doooooon't knooooow" her voice sang.

"Mom, you have 6 children and you don't know how to make a baby?" I smirked.

I think we're even on the baby debate!

3 comments:

Annie-Me said...

haha this one really made me laugh out loud literally. It was soooo funny :) You need to publish these so badly!

Melanie Kidder said...

HAHAHA!!!! THIS IS HILLARIOUS! Good job Jen!!

Mel Kidder

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

You are awesome :-) Ha, I love this! These are definitely my favourite posts.