Monday, August 06, 2012

Lessons from a Korean mother-in-law (part 7)

This is a post, in a series, dedicated to a mother-in-law that I deeply love and dearly miss.  All posts in this series are true events that happened to me.

Miss the others?


~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Sung Hyun and I purchased the tickets to Korea we called mom immediately.  I spoke to her first.  Our conversations went exactly like this:

"Hi mom!" I excitedly yelled into the phone.

"Oooooh my daughter-in-law" she replied in joy.

"Mom, I have good news"

"You have a baby?" she asked.

"No mom, no baby

"NO BABY?" she echoed.

"Right, no baby mom.  But Sung Hyun and I are coming to Korea!!!!!" I replied in turn.

"What?  Let me talk to Sung Hyun" she said

I handed the phone over to Sung Hyun.  He presses the receiver up to his ear and listened.  The first words out of his mouth were "no mom, there is no baby".

Lesson #7 from my Korean mother-in-law:  Have a baby already, damn it!



5 comments:

Mrs. Kim said...

Any plans for a baby at some point?

Why am I here??? said...

Yes, we think so. When I first met Sung Hyun he wanted a very large family. Now we are not sure. I think it's still a couple of years down the road for both of us.....and we're leaning towards adoption!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Haha, that's awesome :-) She sounds so wonderful!

ashattack said...

More K-Mom stories please! Makes me miss mine!

Anonymous said...

Jen these are by far my favourite posts!

Mel Kidder