Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Korean Diary Day 14

Sung Hyun and I decided that we needed to take a vacation.  I know technically we are on vacation already but it's been go go go since we've stepped down in Seoul.  AND sleeping on a floor next to mom isn't exactly ideal.  So we took a vacation within a vacation. 
 
Our mission was to relax, just the two of us.
 
Four hours of sleep and then we were up to take an early KTX train to Busan (south part of Korea). 
 
 
But first a quick subway ride to the train station.  Apparently we were not the only tired ones on the train.  This was the morning rush hour traffic dragging their butts to work.

 
I had to send a few emails to my supervisor in Canada and my possible supervisor in Korea.  I'm trying to arrange a study abroad period for my research since it involves with Koreans!  But there's a lot of paperwork, and forms and writing involved.  I'm hopeful I can pull the application together before it's due, which is one day after my arrival in Canada. 
 
 
The KTX train had free wifi 

 
The ride was just over two and a half hours.

 
This guy slept most of the way!
 

 
 We arrived to rain!
 
 
Coffee was in order

 
Then we found a hotel (I'll include those details in the post tomorrow) and walked around a bit

 
Lunch was in someones house.  Apparently that's where the overflow goes.  It felt strange to be sitting at the table in someones house right next to their kitchen.  But hey, this is Korea.  You've got to roll with the randomness.


 
Lunch for the two of us was $11 for mandu and noodles.  A little too fishy for my liking, but we're in a port city so that is to be expected.

 
While walking around the beach area I came across this building and thought it was deserving of a picture.
 
Then, we decided that because we were so sleepy that we'd rest up in our hotel first before we explored.  A little one hour sleep turned into 4.5 hours. 
 
Ooooops!

 
Dinner was samgyupsal and beer

 
I was a little weirded out by this huge hunk of pork

 
But this meal was one of the best I've ever had in Korea

 
Dinner for two. 
 
Next we set out for a walk.  We felt quite energized given that we slept the entire day away

 
First a walk on the beach

 
While we walked around Sung Hyun and I had an interesting discussion.  The beach area is piled high with skyscraper apartments that are worth millions of dollars.  We tried to guess what the occupants of the apartments did for a living.  No way in our lifetime would we be able to afford such a place........unless.....
 
"Hey Sung Hyun, what kind of job would we need to do to afford that apartment?" I asked.
 
"Some kind of business," he replied.
 
"Yah, I know that, but what kind of business?"
 
"Uhhhhh, Uhhhhh prostitution" he replied.
 
"Bah, I knew you were going to say that!"
 
"But then who can work for our company?" he thinks for a moment.  "Maybe our friends in Canada.  Yah.....Tanya, Jennifer, Nicole..." Sung Hyun starts listing off my friends.  "Yah Korean men, gonna like Western girls with a big booms".  Sung Hyun mixed up the 'b' in boobs.
 
"Haha, okay Sung Hyun, too far!  No really, what do you think we could do?"
 
After 20 minutes of brainstorming legitimate possibilities Sung Hyun says "I think prostitution is more easy".
 
Back to the drawing board.  Or perhaps we should just keep our jobs in Canada!

 
During our walk our mission was to get to that bridge.  We walked for over an hour and didn't get very far.  We took a taxi and it got us there in $4 (tip included!)

 
We escaped the rain and headed into a coffee shop. 

 
Where, you guessed it, we ordered shaved ice and nuts for $10 (okay, there's a little more in there than just that!)


 
Spent the rest of the evening drinking beer and chatting to some people at a bar just around the corner from our hotel.


 
Then we were in bed by 1 am.  I could have continued but Sung Hyun wanted to go to sleep!
 
Observations of the Day:
 
1.  Why does it always rain when we go on vacation?  This seems to be a reoccurring pattern.

2 comments:

Tanya said...

bahaha. No Sung Hyun, I will not be a prostitute for you! My booms stay right where they are!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

LOL, you two are hilarious! How long is your Korean trip? - Seems like you've been there for a while. Wish I was there instead of being back at work :-(