Sunday, August 19, 2012
Korean Diary Day 11
A late wake up today. Past noon for the both of us.
The menu at our local kimbab joint
Today we ate a tuna sushi roll and some meat dumplings for breakfast/ lunch
After eating we went to a local coffee shop in the area so I could get some work done. Sung Hyun ate this patbingsu. We decided we better stop our $10 a day ice flake habit.
I looked over and it appeared that Sung Hyun was reading my book.
Ha, don't be fooled. He had his Korean book inside. He said he wanted to look smart!
After 10 minutes of reading Sung Hyun got bored and went to the sauna (bath house) and I continued working on my study abroad research proposal.
During that time I managed to find a really interesting article about Korean saving face and cross-cultural communication. It's titled What is Behind "Face Saving" in Cross Cultural Communication. I think it's definitely worth a read if you are in a cross cultural relationship with a Korean, have been to Korea, or are curious about some of the struggles I face in my relationship. In other words, just read it! Click here for the article.
I worked alone at the coffee shop from 2 - 6:30. But the good news is I got my proposal done. Well the first draft anyway, since I'm sure my supervisor will have some changes.
Parked my butt on the bench outside mom's apartment and watched these men play that foot volleyball game. Anyone know the name for this sport?
Ate supper at home with mom and Sung Hyun. Had a quiet night in the house booking tickets and planning our get away for later this week.
Observations of the Day:
1. I'm happy to have powered through to get some school work done even though I'm on vacation.
2. Got to talk to Canadian mom today. I was looking forward to our chat all day.
3. I have thoroughly enjoyed spending all day with Sung Hyun. He's so easy going and we get along so well. I think I'm lucky to have such an accommodating husband.
4. The way to my mother-in-law's heart is with money -- a big wad of it -- I told Sung Hyun that the only way mom would cheer up now was if we gave her money. So we did exactly that. She's happy now.
5. Time to start watching that budget a little more closely. It's a necessity now :(