Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Korea Diary Day 5

Breakfast was leftover donuts from yesterday.  Then, we left around 11 am and took an hour bus ride to Lotte World, an indoor/outdoor amusement part in Korea.


An hour was nothing when I lived in Seoul, but now it feels like a really long time.  So much of the landscape has changed.  Bridges, where they used to stand, no longer exist.....new skyscrapers everywhere......those changes would take years in Canada.



A coffee for my patience.  Lots of Koreans at Lotte World simply because it's summer vacation.


This picture was taken from the pirate ship ride indoors.  One ride and then it was time for lunch:  bean noodles and dumplings.


We waited 30 minutes just to order and people would be bumping into my seat and pushing me closer to the table as I was eating.  Koreans EVERYWHERE!!!!


The outside part has the best rides but I happened to be a really hot day.


We cooled down with a slushie.  The average line wait time was 30 minutes to 1 hour.  We got in 5 rides and called it a day.


Watched a bit of dancing (which wasn't very good)


Then participated in a "Snow Party" which was just foam


"WHY SO SERIOUS?  A Smile is a facial expression formed by flexing the muscles near both ends of the mouth.  The smile can be found around the eyes.  Among humans, it is an expression denoting pleasure, joy, happiness, or amusement, but can also be an involuntary expression of anxiety, in which case it is known as a grimace." 


Off we went to Coex Mall to meet with a very special girl and her mom.  I used to tutor Grace when I lived here.  We became very close.  She's grown up a lot in the past two years.  You can see her two years ago here.  Grace is an artist.  She attends an elite art middle school.  Her work is exceptional.


You can find a video of her work here.  Skip forward to the 5:15 to 6:30 mark.  Absolutely brilliant!


Spicy pork cutlet


Marinated beef, rice and egg



Tofu salad.  This was delicious.  I'll have to recreate this at home.


And something to cool down.  Korea is HOT!  I had the green tea and red bean slushie.  Normally I wouldn't order this if I'm living in Korea but I feel like I'm on vacation so I want to eat as many unique things as possible.  I'm playing tourist.


Grace could only meet for a little bit because she had to go back to art school.  Classes finished at 10 pm.  This is the reality in Korea.  At least Grace loves what she is doing.  Many children in Korea don't.

Observations of the Day:

1.  Ajumma's are pushy...teehee.

2.  I had an I miss Canada day today.  I miss my Canadian mom.

3.  I got a lot of stares today.  I forgot that Koreans are not shy to eye you up and down.  And even when you catch them looking at you they still continue.  I like to make eye contact and then smile.  Then I speak Korean to Sung Hyun so they know not to speak about me to the person beside them.


4 comments:

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Looks like you are having fun and the food looks fabulous!

I like hearing about how different the culture is in Korea. I can't wait to visit there one day!

Anonymous said...

Your Canadian mom misses you too. Looks like your days are jammed packed with fun and entertainment. The food is just as I remembered it - spicy and oh so different from western food. Have fun and I will count the sleeps until you are back.
Luv
Momma Bear

Jason said...

Looks like you guys are having a blast! I am jealous!

Shelley said...

The food pictures are making me drool! I miss Korean food. Though not sure I could eat everyday. But once in a while would be nice.