Wednesday, August 08, 2012

In Korea


As I pushed my luggage out of the secure area I saw mom and sister-in-law front row.  Mom's face light up as I bolted in her direction.  At that moment, I got all the hugs, butt slaps and kisses that made up for the past two years.  We sat hand-in-hand on the ride back to her house.  She didn't stop smiling.  Then we had our first home cooked meal:

I'm so happy to be in Korea.  I'm smiling from ear to ear.  Yesterday I went for a short walk around the track in front of mom's house and said hi to all the ajjushi's (old men) that I used to know.  It was good to see they are still playing croquet.  That made me laugh.  I sat down to watch and when it was over I went to the little man in the wheelchair and he stretched his arms out to me.

I wanted to explore my entire neighborhood last night, walk around all the curves in the road, and say hi to all the locals that I know, but Sung Hyun assured me that there would be plenty of time to do that.  We went for a shot walk down the hill and stopped in to buy some necessities.  By the time I got back I was sweating more than ever.  Korea is hot!

Here are my observations thus far:

1.  My old neighbourhood has changed a lot in the past two years.  Mostly small grocery, coffee, and bakery shops have been wiped out and replaced with large chains.

2.  I completely forgot that cars have the right of way and almost got hit as I crossed the street.

3.  Sung Hyun and I didn't bring much because we thought we'd just purchase things here.  Last night we went to buy shampoo, conditioner and bananas.   Our bill was $23.  I can't remember if it was always this expensive or if prices have really increased in the past two years.  Good news: my bank card still works!

4.  Those cicada bugs that flap their wing together are really loud.

5.  The water in mom's house is only room temperature.  And the floor is REALLY hard!

Today I woke up at 5:30.  Our plan is to explore!

4 comments:

Tanya said...

Yay!! Have an awesome trip Jenbear!!!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

I want to go to Korea!!! That is so sad that the big box stores had to come in and ruin all the small shops. I hate that.

*Krista* said...

UGGGHHH!!! I'm so jealous!!!!! But happy for you! Keep writing so I can vicariously live through you! Enjoy your time and say "hi" to your mom for me! :) tell her not to worry, I'm sure you'll have a baby soon enough ;)

Anonymous said...

정말 맛있겠어요!