Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Life plans.....all aboard?


Sung Hyun and I sat down this weekend and we managed to hash out some life goals. Now that I've got a plan I'm feeling good. We even wrote the plan out on paper and have started a budget book to make sure we are able to track our success. The biggest problem with adjusting to life in Canada was a result of not detailing any immediate or long term goals. We worked so hard to get to Canada that when we came back it was 'ummm okay, what next?'

Sung Hyun's goal was to get a welding job. Now that he's got that, he's satisfied. He could probably continue doing that for the rest of his life and he would feel happy and fulfilled.

I'm a different story. I need to be challenged daily. I work best under stress and I love pushing myself to the limit. That's when I receive the most satisfaction. So working a 9-5 job Monday to Friday just isn't going to cut it for me. I thought that's what I wanted. It seems to be the thing that everyone strives for. And I keep thinking, what's wrong with me? Why don't I want the same thing as those around me? But then I realize I've always been like this. I love change and get bored so easily (I was a little worried about marriage for this reason).

So I feel better now knowing that I've carved out some goals with my husband. Included in the mix are 6 month, 1 year, 3 year, and 5 year goals revolving around money, career, health, home, school, travel and babies, but not in that order!

And we're both on board! (well I'm still working on my husband to smooth over ONE BIG goal, so when I've got him convinced I'll let you all know!)

10 comments:

Shelley said...

You want to be challenged everyday, never knowing what will happen, and you want to be kept on your toes 24/7? Have a baby! LOL That will keep life very interesting and never boring.

Just saying ;)

Anonymous said...

but we want to hear about the goals! that's so mean not to share it with us! :(

no, seriously, tell us more!

David said...

you want real challenge, well have some kids.

Tanya said...

Not everyone wants the 9-5. I like the ability to go home at the end of the day and do what i want. If i had my own company then I wouldnt care if it was 9-5 because I would make it work around my life. Its good you are choosing the path that makes sense for you. So many people don't hae the guts to go the unbeaten path, thats why they are in the 9-5.

One BIG one? House right? cause I know its not kids hahah.

Diana E.Sung said...

Jen--

No offense intended to Shelley or David, but I don't think having a kid to fulfill your need to be challenged every day is a smart decision. People should have children because they want to be parents.

Anonymous said...

As a teacher who has interacted with over...1000 students, please, for the love of God, do not have kids out of boredom. That's right up there with "it was expected" or "I wanted to keep my spouse around" as a terrible reason to have kids.

Anonymous said...

I think maybe you shouldn't have children until your other goals are fulfilled. I don't get the rush to have children either. She could wait 10 years and it would still be too early.

I also think it's a VERY bad idea to have children when you don't know what you want to do with your life. Fix your own life first before bringing a new one into the world.

That's why we have so much trouble in the world. Too many people having kids by accident or just because they don't know what else to do.

Tanya said...

hey everyone! please read back to jen's many other posts. Children arent on her brain. I think it would be the other way around for convincing. Jen maybe you should post a comment to this before everyone gets into a worry that you are choosing to have kids when you are bored

Why am I here??? said...

I figured that if I tell you I'd jinx it! But I guess I can write about some details if everyone wants to know.

Tanya is right that kids won't be happening for a little while. But I like Shelley and David's sense of humour. Although they are probably right in that it would be challenging and always different, that's not the change/ challenge I'm looking for right now. But that's not to say it does work for others.

Sung Hyun and I are certainly not in the right place to be getting pregnant now. For the last 1.5 years we have lived with our parents (6 months with his mom in Korea and now 1 year in Canada). So we would like to spend some time ALONE as a new couple and enjoy that for a bit. So the first thing we'll have to do is save money for a downpayment on a condo. But since Sung Hyun just bought a car so he can travel to and from work, we'd like to get that paid off first....

Okay this post is getting too long and I have more to say so maybe this weekend I'll detail some of our goals.

Shelley said...

Thanks Jen- I was totally kidding! People need to chill out a little. I would never recommend having children until you are ready.

It was supposed to be meant as tongue in cheek!
Glad you can read between the lines Jenn...