Monday, September 05, 2011

The Importance of Positive Thinking!

An update on the travel scam

Good-bye money!

We did not receive the money from the travel agent at the end of August like promised to us. It's frustrating. And it meant that I didn't get to see my Korean family this year. Lots of tears have been shed and fights had. As stubborn as I am, I know that there is no sense holding onto this hope because it just brings about frustration. And then in the end I'm only hurting myself.

So I'm making a conscious effort to let this go. Life is unfair, things don't always go as planned and there will be set backs. Two steps forward, one step back. It's hard to see your hard earned money just disappear so Sung Hyun and will just have to put our nose to the grind and push just a little bit more. If this experience has taught me anything it's that money isn't everything. And this is a lesson I needed to learn (it's just too bad it was the hard way)!

Here's the message I left my coworkers:

Hello lovely office ladies!

I just wanted to give you an update about our travel scam because I said I'd keep you informed on the movement of this situation. After realizing that our family was not going to visit us in Canada, we decided that it would be best if my husband went to Korea to see his family. He went for 17 days. While he was there he managed to get the travel agent to sign a document in front of a lawyer stating that he would pay the sum of the airline tickets (about $9000) to our brother-in-law's Korean bank account at the end of August. Then we played the waiting game. The end of August came and went. We did not get our money. We have been attempting to make contact with the travel agent but have had no success.

Since we are in Canada there is not much we can do. Because of the language barrier, lack of funds and time commitment we have decided not to pursue this situation in civil court. We may decide to charge him criminally but since it's difficult to do this and we don't know the steps that are involved we have handed this case over to my husband's oldest brother-in-law.

It's an unfortunate circumstance but these are just bumps in life. I'm not going to let this one get me down. Thanks again for all the extra support everyone has given me in the past month. I work with an excellent team of colleagues and I'm proud to be a part of this organization.

So here's to positive thinking....

Enjoy your long weekend,


Jennifer

I was delighted to get this back in response:

It is too bad about the travel scam, but you're an encouragement to me because of the way you have reacted. You are so right that becoming wrapped up in stress and anger over these kinds of things is just not worth it. Seeing your attitude to this major life event helps me realize how foolish it is to stress over minors like traffic and schedule. Thank you.

3 comments:

Julia said...

I was a li'l bit fuming when I first read about this harrowing situation. I'd concur that you're handling this with quite a bit of grace! (But here's to still hoping that the idiot fellow in Korea will return what you're owed anyway.)

Anonymous said...

I'm really sorry to hear the money's gone (not surprised that it ended up this way, though). I do admire your positive attitude and wish you the best!

Shelley said...

it really sucks, that could have been a nice down payment on a condo!
It's good to move on though, dwelling on it will only make you more miserable.