Friday, June 03, 2011

Update #5

One of the biggest struggles Sung Hyun and I deal as a couple is MONEY! Surprise, surprise! Most of the contention comes from having 2 very different ideas about money, how it should be spent and the value it plays in our day to day life. Different upbringings, personal views and pride are all contributing factors to our dilemma. Then when you throw in a little bit of cultural difference you've got a recipe for disaster. Well, welcome to my disaster. More on that later!

With the help of my brother (the financial genius), I have opened my own online trading account through questrade. Within the first day I made $100. YAY! Then I lost $100. Then I gained some, lost some.........you get the picture. In this process I've learned to stop checking questrade everyday, which is what my brother told me from the beginning.

I never thought that investing could be so easy. All my life I've been giving my money to someone else to manage. I've invested in mutual funds and although that certainly wasn't a bad idea, it's nice to have control over a tiny bit -- because I wouldn't trust myself with much more than that!

4 comments:

asiangarden said...

Girl...I feel your pain! About the money and cultural differences...uhg!

Anonymous said...

Aren't money and sex the two biggest issues in marriages? So don't feel too bad --You guys are normal. I think the key to making it work is to find a happy medium that works for both of you.

Amyable said...

Money is the #1 reason for divorce so it is a very common issue in a marriage. So, you're not alone. Best part is that you recognize it and are working on it. I think it would be very difficult to "change" someone's view and/or feelings about money so the trick is probably to work towards ensuring both sides' critical needs are met.

Why am I here??? said...

Hey Asiangarden, maybe it's the Asian part that we have in common that creates this problem.....haha (joking). Anyways, I'll write more about this too so maybe you can relate!

Yes Anony, soooo true! I will be happy to talk openly about both on this blog.

You offer good advice Amyable!