Thursday, January 20, 2011

Work update!

Teaching is going well. I actually really enjoy my classes this semester -- challenging and completely different from last semester!

All of my students are beginner level. And all of my students, except for 1 Chinese student, are from Saudi Arabia. Saudi students are VERY different than Asians. They are challenging, confrontational and opinionated. They tell me not to mark them absent when they don't come to class because they are too tired and they tell me whether or not they are going to participate in the activity. It makes for a very interesting environment.

Most of the Saudi students are sponsored by their government. They get free school and flight tickets to Canada as well as a salary to study. They earn more than me! Seriously!

But I do enjoy being in the classroom. I love being in the front leading the group (even if they don't want to participate). I love watching when the light bulb goes off in their head. I love being a part of their learning.

And I imagine for some of them, this is the first time they have been bossed around by a woman (other than their mothers of course).



6 comments:

Shelley said...

So just out of curiosity, are the Saudi students mostly men?

ambearo said...

Do you still mark them absent? I hope so!!

Foreigner Joy said...

Sounds like an awesome turnout.

Why am I here??? said...

Yes Shelley ALL males (2 Saudi females in 1 class). Def. mark them absent ambearo!!!!

Shelley said...

I'm surprised you actually have 2 Saudi women in your class....

Just beware of the chauvinism, I'm sure I don't even need to elaborate.

My Pakistani-American friend moved to Doha to teach and she is a Muslim and she is encountering so much chauvinism it's unreal.

Amanda said...

Yeah, you sure you want to consider teaching in Saudi Arabia after all of this?