Thursday, December 16, 2010

Made a difference to that one.....

It's no secret how much my dad and I like the Starfish story from the original Chicken Soup for the Soul book. To summarize: A man was walking down a deserted Mexican beach at sunset when he saw another man in the distance leaning down, picking something up and hurling it out into the water. As the man grew nearer he noticed that the local native kept leaning down and picking up starfish that had been washed up onto the shore. He approached the man and said "excuse me sir, what are you doing?" to which the man replied "you see, it's low tide right now so I'm picking up all these starfish that have been washed up onto the shore and throwing them back into the ocean. If I don't throw them back into the water they will die up here from lack of oxygen". The puzzled man replied "there must be thousands of starfish washed up along thousands of beaches all over the world, can't you see you can't possibly make a difference?". The local native smiled, bend down and picked up yet another starfish, "made a difference to that one", he replied!

Love it, love it, love it!

So today when I woke up out of bed, I didn't think "oh geez I look awful", but instead sprung out of bed with a plan in action.

I'm not going on a diet. I'm not counting calories or points. I'm not sticking to a 5 meal a day eating clean plan because I know I can't jump into anything full force and expect it to work. I've been there done that. Typically it works like this: start eating clean on Monday. Eat healthy for a good week. Have a bad meal. Feel guilty. Negative self-talk. Eat healthy again but think 'how am I going to do this for the rest of my life?'. Give up. Feel guilty. Start again.

It certainly doesn't jive well with my 'all or nothing attitude'.

So here's my simple plan:

START SMALL.

Everyday I'm going to make 1 healthy choice. I don't care if I eat a hamburger from McDonalds after that, but I'm going to consciously do something small everyday. That way I'm am making an effort to build healthier smaller reasonable habits. Doesn't that make sense? And I'm going to start TODAY. And I'm fricken' excited!!!! And I don't care that Christmas is 10 days away and will be eating glorious treats then. Because I'm not on a diet. So I'm not going to punish myself for enjoying Christmas treats.

And then I'm going to see if these small steps really do make a difference.

Who's in?
Healthy choice #1: Instead of waking up and eating 2 chocolate macaroons for breakfast, I made myself oatmeal with coconut and a small scoop (1 tsp) of peanut butter with a side of fruit.

And I'm not thinking: "why do I keep eating peanut butter full of sugar when I really should be eating the raw organic natural kind?"

NOPE!

I'm thinking: "Right on Jen, instead of eating cookies for breakfast you decided to eat natural oatmeal with fruit. YOU'RE AWESOME!!!!!!

Okay so now it's your turn! What healthy choice are you going to make today?

p.s. sorry for that on-line pep talk ;)

6 comments:

Shelley said...

I love it! I am an emotional eater....like most people. And it's Christmas, I am an ocean away from all my family and friends. I am married into a Muslim family who don't celebrate Christmas, so all I want to do is eat comfort food!
Diets rarely work, but I think the way you're going about it is something sustainable. I think also adding exercise (small amounts) will help.

Anonymous said...

hi jen, what really helped me was getting a stepper. then while watching the telly i'll step till the show is done! that way you'll pack away about half an hour of exercise everyday!

Amy said...

Peanut butter is good for you. It's full of protien and helps to fill you up. I'd say it's one of the better things to have with breakfast :)

Why am I here??? said...

Thanks for the comment Shelley. Emotional eater.....who me? Check! Have a great Christmas with your family. AND FOR HEAVEN SAKES UPDATE YOUR BLOG FOR ME ;)

Thanks anony, that's a great idea. I'm going to use it as one of my daily challenges if that's okay with you. And if you put your name to your comment, then I'll give you credit.

Hi Amy..........open your present yet?! Better NOT! I'm going to try to make the switch from peanut butter to natural or raw. But until then I'm going to enjoy it ;)

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!

ashattack said...

This sounds like a great way to start. I did a similar thing a few years ago. You'll be amazed how it can work! Never try to deprive yourself of anything; it just makes you want it more. So my mantra is "Everything in moderation, including moderation." Have fun with that diet stress removed from your life!

Annie-Me said...

Emotional eater...I like that......so that's why i can pound back a box of chocolates when I'm upset. haha.

Anyway, Jen the natural peanut butter.....honestly I can eat the stuff with a spoon. it's so delicious hun and I love that it doesn't have any additives in it. Just pure and natural peanuts....one ingredient...that's all. Crazy thought huh? I don't know if I'd be able to go back to the sugary stuff. I didn't really notice a huge difference, just that it tasted so much more like what I thought peanut butter should taste like. I totally recommend taking the plunge. It's a little pricier but in the end...the taste is the pay off!

Annie