Friday, October 22, 2010

BALANCE

The biggest thing I'm missing in my life is balance. I just can't seem to get it right. My all-or-nothing attitude doesn't really work in my favour either.

I don my power suit, slap on heels and make way into the working world. I'm a career women. I'm driven. I feel alive when I do something challenging. I strive for perfection.

But it comes at a cost. I forget the simple pleasures in life. I take the people I care about the most for granted. I forget I have a husband.

Instead, the little feminist in me says that cooking and caring for men would be degrading to women. So I do the opposite. I work.

And just this week I jumped at an new opportunity that has now officially opened another door for me in the teaching world. So for the next week or so, I'll buckle down and turn my working week into 55 hours. I'm lucky. I'm fortunate to be working. I'm privileged to have gotten a prestigious job.

But I'm missing balance. So what do I do?

3 comments:

Why am I here??? said...

Hey sorry Mel, somehow your comment got deleted.

Anyways, I'll be teaching ESL at the Regina Open Door Society as a sub. It will be evening work starting next week for a short time.

Foreigner Joy said...

Balance will come when routine sets in. Also with your new life there I think a new kind of balance will find you.

But I think you don't want the kind of balance that is banal. I keep a balance life but going to bed at 9:30 doesn't leave much time during the day. I'd say find your rhythm and keep it going. If that involves cooking a meal or two I don't see why not.

;)

Why am I here??? said...

Yes I hope so Joy!