Monday, September 20, 2010

My foot in the door!

Dear Tanya,

YOU ROCK!!!

My dear friend Tanya (a.k.a. life coach) has been a big help in transitioning me back to Canada. She has volunteered to plan my entire Canadian wedding which I'm so thankful for. She also has kept her eyes out for jobs/ positions for Sung Hyun and I. Overall, she's just an awesome person and I'm proud to call her my friend!

You may remember Tanya from some way back response to somewhat of a heated topic (too lazy to look for the link) where she replied to some anonymous person who commented about my inability to work at a university due to my lack of credentials.

About 2 months before I returned to Canada she sent me an email telling me I should apply for the University ESL Sessional Lecturer position starting the end of September. I was going back and forth about whether I should even apply, but I gave it a go anyways.

Last week I went for the interview. I wasn't nervous at all and I felt very comfortable talking with the ladies who were interviewing me. The interview lasted about an hour and they asked me all sorts of questions. After the interview I met up with my former university professor, now friend, for a lunch date.

The following day they called me to tell me I got the job!!!! I've been to the orientation and meet/greet with the students. And as of today, they've up'd my 2 classes a week to 4 which puts me into the full-time hours. YIKES!

Looks like I've got more than just my foot in the door.

And to be honest I'm a little scared!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic news Jen!!! I am soo happy for you. I hope you enjoy it. Eeeeee excited for you!!! Have fun camping this weekend. Looks like the weather is playing along :)

Kim

David said...

Congrat, now how about grand kids. Just kidding.

Amy said...

Congrats on the position Jen, and I'm sure that you will do more than fabulous and your students are going to love you :) You are at the UofR then? I guess we are sort of a little bit close, as I'm out at SIAST now.

I hope you have a lot of fun with your classes, and that the wedding plans go well :)

saebom said...

wow, great news! congrats!

Sante said...

oh... lots of update. To be honeset, I introduced yor blog to my wife and now she is reading your blog more than I do.. congrat! for your new job! I'm sure your hus. will also bring good news. I've been recently seeing lots of steel movements from SK (Steel Mills like IPSCO, EVRAZ, Regina Steel) so I assume steel 'fat cats' may hire some professionals like your half.. argh.. have to get back to work ...

Amanda said...

Congrats, Jen! What does a "Sessonal Lecturer" do? Are you tenured? Good job!

Amanda Again said...

Clearly I'm thinking faster than my fingers. I mean "tenure-track," of course.

Dodo said...

Great news, ajumma! Good luck with your teaching ^^
Hugs from Seoul - and I miss youuuuu!

Anonymous said...

wow. Impressive. Tell us more!

Tanya said...

You'll do great and I'm sure you will really enjoy it. Before you know it you will have a place of your own and finally a Canadian wedding! And I'm glad that someone listens to me haha. Cant seem to get anyone else to including myself!

Anonymous said...

What does "Sessonal" mean? Is that a misspelling of Seasonal? I can't seem to be able to google it.

Why am I here??? said...

Hey Anony,

Yah it's sessional lecuture.....my typo, not yours!