Monday, August 09, 2010

Don't know how I'm feeling.....

Well in less than 2 weeks, I'll be saying good-bye to some very important people in my life. I have made Korea my home for the last 5 years. 5 years!!!! I still can't believe that. Korea has become a part of me. Although I miss my parents and friends in Canada tremendously I always knew that I'd be returning to Canada and calling it my home someday. But we really don't have any plans to return to Korea except for a visit here and there.

It doesn't feel real that I'm leaving. I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that in 13 days we'll both be boarding a plane to start our new life. I'm not at all prepared. I'm going to have major reverse culture shock and it's going to be harder on me to return to Canada then it will be for Sung Hyun to live there.

We're both really nervous and anxious. The excitement hasn't kicked in yet. I anticipated more of a reaction from my friends when I told them I'd be coming back. I hope I won't feel lost when I get there.

I don't have a plan for when I return. My plan is to just relax really. I have been going full force in preparation for Canada for the past 2 years in Korea. I've worked and studied hard to make this happen. I'm a little nervous that I've built it up to something bigger than it really is, much like a bride after her wedding day. I'm waiting for the NOW WHAT?

Do you have any helpful advice you can give me?

8 comments:

george said...

Hi,

This is a wonderful blog! It was a very good read.

I was wondering if you would be interested in guest blogging on my blog. It is a collection of my travels and the travels of my guests. If you scan the site you can see that now almost 100% of the posts are from guests. Lately I’ve been finding many people interested in guest posting.

Included in your post will be a link to your website using whatever anchor text or key words you wish and a description of your site (if you choose to include one.)

My blog (onetravel.wordpress.com) receives about 1000 visitors a day and that number is steadily growing.

So if you are interested in being a guest, please let me know.

Send me an Email:
gchristodoulou(-at-)OneTravel(-dot-)com

Warm Regards,
George Christodoulou
Travel Blogger | OneTravel
gchristodoulou(-at-)OneTravel(-dot-)com

Sante said...

I'm just putting sth that I struggeled with my wf.
1. let your hus. visit korea when he really wants whereas you want to go for a vacation to Mexico (all incl. deal)
2. let your hus. go to K. resturant as often as possible when you feel like indian food or chinese.... (Don't say I'm seek of this!...lol)
3. Don't leave too close to your parents/bfs(i'm saying mins walking distance, within city limit works though) so you both have your own life and deal with matters by urself.

Jihye said...

you worte time was 5:48am...

um... i can imagine you're feeling. but i know that is a just a litte. i can't understand compeletly.


i magine when we say goodbye
already i'm so sad
i think about you're worry
but i don't know wisdom advice.


Remember!
you are not alone.
you have a 승현 and freinds and canada famliy and korea famliy.

you can do all of it!
because you are not alone.

Remember, 5 years ago.
Nobody you know korea but now
you have many things!
then don't worry
you will fine ^^*

always i cheer you up!

Anonymous said...

Adjusting will be difficult. I don't think you should expect any different. When you eventually go back to work, you'll find that getting paid five times less than you did in Korea takes the fun out of the job! I don't think you can help this either. Being a foreigner in Korea means you're somewhat of a celebrity. Back in Canada, you'll be irrelevant. Just one more face in the crowd. That's hard to accept too.

If you're commited to make your life in Canada work, you'll have to deal with these things as they come and try to get past them.

Anonymous said...

You anticipated more of a reaction jen?! Everyone is excited for you to come home and a camping trip is even being organised! :) what did you expect. I think you maybe wish for more online words from people etc. but don't worry, we are all thinking of you. KIM

Amanda said...

Well, my advice would be to have a plan, a backup plan, and a backup backup plan.

Dodo said...

Don't expect anything much from anyone except your closest friends. I know it's somehow sad, but my experience after coming back to Germany for the first time after only 9 months away was "out of sight, out of mind". I came back to have a party for my 30th birthday with my friends and rented a cabin for the weekend where everybody could sleep and stay together for the entire weekend. What happened: my 5 or 6 closest friends stayed there with me from Friday to Sunday as planned. Everybody else basically showed up on Sat night and left the same day. So I had rented this huge place for almost 30 people to stay there and 6 of us slept there. I learned the hard way who's close and who's not....

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Dodo. You'll be somehow of a novelty for the first few days or weeks and then everybody will go back to their lives. Since you've been away for so long, you won't have one (a life, that is) in Canada and will likely feel alone. I think this is a normal part of the process. With time, you'll carve your own space but don't expect this grand welcome because you might be too disappointed when it doesn't happen.