Thursday, July 01, 2010

Sogang University Korean Language Program!

Next week I crack open this baby..............I'M NOT AT ALL READY!!!!!

I had someone leave a comment asking me about the Korean Language program at Sogang. So I thought I'd briefly write about my experience.

I LOVE MY KOREAN CLASS!!!!! The first level was awesome and so is the second level (which is where I am now). I did however bite off more than I can chew so I will be happy when level 2 is complete so that I can slowly review the material and give myself a much needed break.

My classmate Saebom gives an excellent description of the program in detail so I suggest you check it out HERE

If you want to learn more about the Korean program from the actual site then go HERE.

Sogang is the best place to learn to speak practical Korean. The classes are fun but super intense. There is a ton of homework. You are expected to preview and learn all the vocab words yourself for the lesson. If you don't know them, it's easy to fall far behind.

If I had the choice I would ONLY study. It's too difficult to work and study this program (people do it though). But basically you get what you put into the class. Even within each class there is a wide range of levels. Some students have come from a full year of Korean study in their home country and they are placed in level 1 because their speaking ability is not up to par (even if their grammar is level 3). They don't slow down for the weak students or go faster for the stronger ones. Everything is consistent. The teachers use a wide range of materials: flashcards galore, worksheets coming out of my wazoo, interactive games (we play a game almost every class), CD dialogue, powerpoint slides, colour pictures, to name a few. This week for our reading class we made Korean food.

There are 3 different teachers each day. All the lessons from each teacher overlap and use the same grammar patterns/ vocab for the most part. But things move really really quick. If you don't catch something or miss a class then you're automatically behind. Playing catch-up is even harder! Or in my case, impossible!

Classes are fun. Each class we walk around and speak Korean. We don't just sit and learn. Students quickly become friends. Currently, I spend more time with them then my husband. It's a super fun and comfortable atmosphere. We mostly use the main text book during class time, but some things are skipped and worksheets are used instead.

It's a really really great program and I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in learning Korean.
Here's a picture I took today of the grammar rules for quoted speech. All grammar topics are posted on the wall after class.

Here are the worksheets (in addition to the 4 books we study from) from the second half of the level 1 semester!

8 comments:

David said...

How about a video of you speaking in Korean only.

Judith said...

Hi! I am a long time reader and really enjoy your blog! :D I had a question about the Sogang program. I am currently a University student in America and was thinking of studying in Sogang next Summer 2011. I wanted to know if the acceptance notification is sent before or after the placement test? Thank you :D

Why am I here??? said...

Hey Judith,

Good questions. I believe the acceptence letter is sent before your level test. First I went into the office and applied for the program then I paid and got confirmation of class enrollment, then I got level tested. Does that help? Do you need me to check at the main office for you?

Judith said...

Thank you so much! If it's not too much trouble, it would be great. I was just afraid that I would have to fly to Korea to take the test and risk not being accepted and having to simply fly back. But thank you very much for replying promptly :D I really appreciate it as I am still trying to decide what I will do.

Why am I here??? said...

Hey Judith,

If you are abroad the test will be conducted on the phone. It's just an interview (not a written test) since the Sogang course is heavy on speaking.

You don't need to worry about having to fly all the way to Korea to take the test (if that was the case NO ONE WOULD REGISTER).

Then after your test let's say you get placed in level 2 but it's too difficult then your teacher at the time will make you switch classes. That was the case with me even though I tested into level 2.

Does that answer your question? Do you still need me to check?

Judith said...

Hey Jennifer,

Thank you sooo much!! And no worries that answers my question! It's a really big help!

aeoise f said...

Hi Jennipal,

Good Day!

I was searching through the sites for Korean Language schools in Seoul & came across your blog. I've also heard about Sogang Korean Language Summer program from some people but would like to find a few other alternatives as comparison.

Since you're a teacher & also living in Korea. Do you happen to know of any other good & affordable Korean Language schools in Seoul? Am looking for some short courses like a 1-3 months program.

Appreciate if you could share with me some info if you have.

Thank you very much!

*Btw, nice reading your blogs :)

aeoise f said...

Hi Jennipal,

Good Day!

I was searching through some sites for Korean Language schools in Seoul & came across your blog :)

I've heard some positive feedback about Sogang Korean Language Summer program from some people, but i would like to find a few other alternatives as comparison, especially on the fees.

Since you're a teacher & also living in Korea. Do you happen to know of any other good & affordable Korean Language schools in Seoul? Am looking for some short courses like a 1-3 month program.

Appreciate if you could share with me some info if you have.

Thank you very much!

*Btw, nice reading your blogs :)