Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I came to learn Korean, but that was only part of it...

I didn't expect to meet such a great group of people in my Korean class at Sogang. And the funny thing is that I was supposed to be in level 2 but I was falling behind in the first week because I didn't know all the grammar patterns so I dropped to level 1. I wasn't so happy that I was paying $1600 to construct basic Korean sentences so I did consider dropping out and getting a refund, but I decided to give it an honest go. Afterall, I never actually put effort into learning Korean until this class.

And so that was the purpose -- to learn Korean so that I could feel more comfortable communicating with my mother-in-law, since we had moved into her place at this point.

And that's what happened. I'm able to talk with my mom about basic things and I am happy that I took the class.

But something else happened. I met an amazing group of people. I just expected to take a Korean class--I didn't expect to make friends. Thanks for the amazing class, the loads of laughs, and the endless jokes...........I'll miss you all ;)

Eating lunch in the classroom with the teacher at the head of the table

Class photo time!!!! Our speaking teacher is holding the flowers we gave her! For a more detailed account of all the people in class check out Saebom's page HERE.

Enjoying a beer with the best teacher in the world, outside the school convenience store ;)

HOW CAN I EVER LEAVE KOREA?!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

That's awesome. I think language classes are perfect for making friends because when you practice, you end up talking so much about your life. It helps with motivation too, doesn't it?

I especially love the really unlikely friendships that happen in my classes, like when a 20-year-old Latino kid befriends an elderly Korean woman.

I'm really looking forward to taking a Korean class after we move to LA.

Annie-Me said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I know if you had stayed in the 2nd level you would have just stressed yourself out. anyway...it's better to be the smartest in a class than the dumbest....well that's what I think anyway.