Monday, April 12, 2010

Korean class!

I'm taking full-time Korean classes at Sogang University. I started in the second level but after the first week I fell quite far behind because although I had the listening skills to understand I was majorly lacking in the grammar department. So I was sent packing to the first level. And I was all like "teacher, I want to stay in the second level, I will promise to work hard blah blah blah". But she was right, the first level was EXACTLY where I belong. Although it was a huge bruise to my pride, I knew I was in the right class for my level. And to be honest the first 3 to 4 weeks were pretty easy since I knew most of the vocabulary but holy shit does it ever progress fast. Now I'm into new stuff and I have to study every single day. We had mid-terms last week, on we'll have our 25 minute interview with the teacher this Wednesday, but I've prepared adequately and feel that speaking is one of my stronger points.

I'm in love with my class. We have three different teachers; a writing one for one hour, a speaking one for two hours and a listening/ reading one for one hour.....EVERYDAY! And to top things off, I think I have the best students in my class. They are fun and we always have a hoot. I look forward to my Korean class to get my daily dose of giggles.

Oh yah I got 97% on the writing component of my speaking test (if that makes sense) and 91% on my reading/ listening test.

I HEART SCHOOL!!!!!! BUT I STILL DON'T HEART HOMEWORK!p.s. bet you can't find my teacher!!!!!

11 comments:

Helena said...

Four hours of class a day? Wow. (I'm kind of simultaneously jealous and horrified.)

Tuyet said...

Good job on your tests!

Is your teacher the one on the right wearing the green scarf?

Shelley said...

I think it's great that you are studying Korean. I actually loved the language and learned a lot in the year I was there. I have to admit though, I am totally not even trying to learn Urdu (Hindi). Everyone speaks English here, (including my in-laws). My MIL has two masters degrees (one in English) and is an English professor. English is also practically my husband's first language. So it's made me darn lazy. I plan on studying my masters in Public Administration so learning Hindi seems like too much work....

Amanda said...

I'm so jealous you get to study Korean. Is the white guy your teacher?

Why am I here??? said...

Yes it's so fun Helena! Thanks a bunch Tuyet! How did you study when you were in Korea Shelley? Yes Amanda, you HAVE to come back to Korea for a semester of study......it will change you're life. And NO you are all wrong. Guess again!

Amanda said...

Why are they all hugging the white guy then??

Why am I here??? said...

ohhhh he's a hoot! But I don't think we planned to hug him, since we set the camera on auto take. One more guess!!!!

HL said...

The one with the blue scarf thing behind the girl giving a peace sign and next to the boy.

I went through the Sogang program (levels 2-6) and loved it. Good luck!

Why am I here??? said...

Cool HL....I'm jealous! What was your intention for studying Korean?

Good guess, but she's a Japanese student!

tessa van said...

I just started level 1 at Yonsei, WOW they go FAST!!! My poor brain!
My guess is the girl (!) sitting on the chair?
Delurking by the way! Just moved to Korea with my (korean) husband!

HL said...

I'm Korean-American, but I never learned it growing up despite the fact that my parents spoke it all the time. I learned to tune them out early. Plus for much of my life we didn't live in cities with a lot of other Korean-Americans so I wasn't exposed that way. Anyway, it has always bothered me that I couldn't really talk with my parents so I went over there after college. I just came back to the States a month ago.

One more guess: is the teacher the white girl next to you? She looks familiar.