Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Mixed feelings

First of all I just want to say a big thanks to everyone who has wished me congrats or left comments about my engagement. I was excited to rush home after work to see what new treasures I would have. So to all of you, thanks!!!!

Secondly, I'm so excited to be going back to Canada with Sung Hyun for a month. Tickets are bought and paid for. And we will arrive in Regina Dec 24th (afternoon). Departing to Vancouver will happen Jan 22nd (where we will do a 2 day layover ) and then we'll be arriving in Seoul on the 24th. A nice good long holiday during the best time of the year with the people I love most. I'm nervous about this trip a little because I'm not too sure when Sung Hyun and I will be making the BIG move back to Canada. Either this trip will make me long for home and all the goodness it brings or make me homesick for my fast-paced life in Korea. Damn can't I just have my cake and eat it too!!!!

I have been reading a few blogs about adjusting back to life in America/ Canada after having lived in Korea and I'm sure the transition will not go smoothly for me. Damn I make everything as complicated as possible so this will be the same. But when one door closes another one opens, right?

6 comments:

Chris said...

While I have no plans to return to the USA currently, you bring up a subject I'm interested in. Would you mind sharing some of these links you mention? About adjusting to moving back to North America after years of living in Korea? -Chris

Tanya said...

Jenbear, I dont envy your decision on what to do and nobody can make that decision besides you and Sung Hyun. You are always going to miss one place or the other, you just need to decide which place you want to spend most of your time in because you will always visit the other again, you have to, one of you will need to visit home each year. Anyways. I am hear to listen, to support and to help you with whatever you need! Hugs!

Beloved said...

Good to hear about your trip. So great to be home for the holidays.
I won't lie. Adjustment to life in the States with Korean hubby has been pretty brutal. I made a HUGE mistake in bringing him to such a non-multicultural area. If you can find a nice Korean community in Canada, that will help tremendously with the transition. We go to Korean church now pretty much for the chance to get together with Koreans. Anyway, that being said everyone's transition is different because everyone is...well, different. Our experience is ours only; yours may be nothing like it. All the best to both of you!

Tracey said...

Returning to home can be frustrating but as far as reverse culture shock it varies among each person. When I returned from Korea I couldn't use my friends' experiences as a benchmark for what I should expect. I went in with an open mind and was prepared for it and did not let it get to me. I really focused on not letting it drive me crazy. Be prepared but don't let it over run your mind!

Shells Bells said...

It was HARD to move back to Canada. I think about Korea every single day..and I can't wait until I'm finished with school to leave again. Korea is pretty fabulous and you realize just how much once you aren't there anymore. The fresh air is great (cold weather not so much) but really that's the only plus I can think of so far about being home (well other than the family and friends aspect). I hope you two have a great vacation though :)

MelStrand said...

Hi Jen, The transition back is quite difficult. I was lucky that I had Audrey, Heather, Erinn and Carole here who are all from Edmonton and we all lived in Korea at the same time. Edmonton has lots of great Korean restaurants and grocery stores. I can get pretty much everything that I want that I miss from Korea. That being said I will always miss Korea and hopefully someday will get to go back.

Mel