Sunday, May 18, 2008

Calling all trades people

This post is intended for my family and anyone who is able to offer any advice to help us out. Currently we are looking into immigration options to Canada under the 'skilled workers' category for Sung Hyun(I'm sure this doesn't mean much to you). I'm not exactly sure what my boyfriends does so he invited me to his work and if I had to guess it would be a combination of both sheet metal work (mostly cutting and bending) and welding (arc welding, TIG welding, stainless steel, iron). He doesn't have any schooling in these trades (no journeyman) BUT he does have OVER 8 years experience.

Here are some pictures of what I saw today:

T.I.G WELDING (Tungsten Inert Gas)



bending machine




more cutting



Bending metal to make a circle
More TIG welding -- making a circle
small sample
big size


Air plasma cutter

cutting a hole with air plasma

end result


Arc welding
So is there anyone there in Canada (Saskatchewan) that knows what this job title is???? Or does anyone have any sort of connect with one of these trades and could offer any sort of advice on what to do (like should he go to school here in Korea to get some sort of certificate.....etc....)!!!!
Anything would help; thanks in advance!!!!


Anonymous said...

If he works in a factory he is a steel worker, if he works in a workshop he is a metal worker.

Anonymous said...

Does he actaully make a product (fabricate)? Or does he only do his portion and someone finishes the rest?

Schooling is always good, and can be put on a CV.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm not linking anything, because I don't know how useful they will be, but goggling "Korea construction school" brings up a lot of links. You might want to throw "Seoul" into the search.

By taking classes and/or getting certificates he can call himself a tradesman.

Tuyet said...

Hmm? If he's creating parts or random stuff from metal... then he would be a "machinist" (that's what my boyfriend does - he's in AB & I'm from SK)

My boyfriend has tried to explain it to me many times and I think i now have a good enough idea... basically people/company comes to him and he makes parts for stuff that manufacturers no longer make parts for... he takes metal & uses various machines to recreate the needed part...

I really hope that helps.

if you have any questions you can email me at

tuyet said...

Looking at your other posts (the one where he created the earring tree) - I'm feeling more confident that the job title here would be, "machinist"

It's a 4 year apprenticeship program & the best thing is that there is a high need for these skilled trades people. So if you're thinking of bringing your boyfriend over to SK... then he'll definitely be in demand.... probably more so in AB... but still.

Btw, how is his English skills?

Why am I here??? said...

hehe thanks for the help alessandreastarr and tuyet. We are planning on going back to SK and from what I hear there is a demand for people to fill these trade for Sung Hyun's english, hummm not so good, but he's trying ;)

Tanya said...

hey jenbear.

ok, he's a welder, thats what its called usually in the job postings. He can do all the different types of welding. usually you see mig and tig welding around. As far as schooling, its great to get it but I'm a little concerned because even if he does get it there, sometimes certificates, diplomas and degrees dont transfer over to Canada. thats the joys of the immigration system. your best bet would be to contact the sask immigration. they will be able to tell u if he got schooling in korea if it would help or if its better to try and get over here and then take the schooling. Either way, 8 years of experience I think he can just apply for his journeyman's. Schooling in welding i think is just beginners stuff and its mostly apprenticeship to get your number of hours in, kinda like massage therapy. I'd also look up sask trades somewhere on the sask government website, because it tells you how to get a journeyman certificate in sask, I think its mostly the number of hours you put in. but I would definitelyl check with sask immigration. they have differnt programs. Its easier for him to get into sask to work if he has a company that wants to hire him. And the process takes a while becaue thye have a backlog of applications so check on it soon. emial me if you need more info.

tuyet said...

Hmmm? I like Tanya's response...

Here's a website to check out:

Why am I here??? said...

You TWO are so helpful ;) Thanks a bunch really!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, if he just does parts then he is a welder or machinist, but if he does products from beginning to end you can put fabricator on his resume, it just sounds fancier, doesn't really mean anything different. It just depends on how much you think it might impress a potional job.

Anonymous said...

I know a German woman who is here on visitor visa, but she is trying to get a permanent residency here. She worked in Germany as a florist and a travel agent.

The way she proceeds is this: She went to a local immigration consultant, and she was told that the florist, but not the travel agent, is one of the occupations the country is in shortage of, which means she is likely to get the residency if she can find an employer who wants to employ her. So she applied to a few florist jobs through the papers, and finds someone who wants to employ her, but she, on visitor visa, can’t be employed legally, so she tells him she will work for him for free in return for his support until she gets the paperwork from the immigration department, and the employer will employ her formally when she gets the official paper from the government.

I think a welder with 8 years of experience shouldn’t be too hard to find an employer in Canada or in most other Western countries.


Anonymous said...

And I think there is a good chance welder is one of the occupations Canada is in shortage of.


JL said...

If you have more specific questions about Immigration Law let me know. I help run a pro se Immigration Clinic in Utah, but we see cases from all over.