Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Canada vs. Korea

My girlfriend AnneMarie sent me this poem about Saskatchewan weather and it made me laugh. Maybe you have to be from Saskatchewan to understand how HILARIOUS this really is.
SASKATCHEWAN POEM
It's winter in Saskatchewan
And the gentle breezes blow
Seventy miles an hour
At twenty-five below
Oh, how I love Saskatchewan
When the snow's up to your butt
You take a breath of winter
And your nose gets frozen shut
Yes, the weather here is wonderful
So I guess I'll hang around
I could never leave Saskatchewan
'Cause I'm frozen to the ground!!
Anyways so it got me thinking today when I was out in the cold about what I like about Korea and Canada and then of course what I don't like.
And since I have come back home (Canada) here is what I have realized:
Let's start with the good: I love how people give you SPACE; they push their carts, smile when you make eye contact and apologize when they get in your bubble, it's nice!!!! I take a bubble bath EVERYDAY while I read my free book from the library. Everyone understands me, well most of the time. I can hop in my car and get anywhere in 15 minutes (unless it's blistering outside). I don't feel FAT, I'm comfortable in my skin. And there are shoes and clothes that fit me. I think it's great that I don't have to wait for a parking space.
Okay bad: It's freezing cold here and there is nothing I can do to warm up. My tip at dinner is more than I would pay for a decent meal in Korea. I can't find any food that makes my lips or mouth tingle, nothing is spicy enough!!!! It's really too convenient to hop in the car and buy a slurpee and chocolate bar.......ummmm!!!! TAX BLOWS!!!!!!!!!!! I can't be with Sung Hyun.
So there you have it, the good and bad. I enjoy Canada and sometimes I can be pretty negative about Korea. So I have decided that if I'm going to have a good year in Korea then I have to focus on the positive -- the good things that make me happy, not the bad things that make me miss Canada.

6 comments:

Sandra said...

Have a good year, take lots of pictures, and eat lots of good food :)

Annie-Me said...

Those are the same issues that I have about Canada VS Korea. I am concerned about coming home and not getting a job where I can save the amount of money I can save now though!!!

Anonymous said...

Jennipal,
'get in your bubble'? I was unable to find an answer by googling. Is it supposed to mean 'get in your space'? If it is, why so?
~English learner

Why am I here??? said...

Hello English learner,

Good question!!!! You're right -- get in your space is what that also means. You see in Canada there is an unwritten rule that people don't stand too close to you. For example, when you stand in a line up people generally leave a few feet of space from person to person. We call this our personal space (or bubble). When people get too close to us (in line or just talking face to face) then we may feel uncomfortable. If you live in North America, try this. Stand very close to someone when you're talking to them and most likely they will attempt to back away.

In Korea there is no such thing as personal space. Perhaps it's because of the vast amount of people crammed into a small area. Everyone is generally comfortable bumping into one another and standing so close to someone that you can almost smell the kimchi on their breath....hehe. My Korean friend (girl) always does this to me. One day I just had to tell her to back up. It certainly was something that I had to get used to when I was there.

Thanks for the question:

Where are you from?

Anonymous said...

Jennipal,

Thank you for your reply. I was trying to figure out why the word ‘bubble’ could be used in place of the word ‘space’. Maybe because you need some space to make bubbles.:)

I’m a Korean living in NZ. I have been reading your blog for some time and find it quite interesting and sometimes entertaining.
E.L

Why am I here??? said...

Thanks E.L, you should start your own blog too!!!

I would love to read yours ;)