Friday, December 14, 2007

Worked!!!


I've found a job. I am leaving in 10 minutes to go sign the contract for next year. My current school where I have been for 2 years offered me 2.8 ($3000 CAD) a month to re-sign with them. Wow, that's a crap load of money, a huge pay raise. It was definately tempting since it is only a 10 minute walk to Sung Hyun's place, but I am ready for a change. I don't think it's common for someone to stay at the same work place (hogwan) for 3 years.
Even though my new job pays less it does come with some added perks. THE BEST BEING AN 11 WEEK PAID VACATION!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOOOOAAAA (and a Western boss, oh if you only knew how much this will change the dynamics of a work place in Korea). On top of that, I have no Korean CO-teacher breathing down my back making sure I am on the right page on the right day. Yup, I'm totally in control of my class. I'm given one book and the rest is up to me
Starting March I will be teaching at a privitized public school in Seoul. I'm in charge of grades 4 through 6, should be challenging!!!

6 comments:

Beloved said...

Congratulations on your new job! I'm glad you didn't let the money lure you into staying at the same place. I think it's going to be great to experience something new and have a little more control over things. Even if things are challenging at times, there'll always be those 11 weeks to look forward to! :) Best of luck!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrads! Im proud of you! Its much better to chose what makes you feel better, not what gets you more money.
3k a month? 36k a year? How much is that? Here in america 50-60 is average, 70+ is good, and under 40 is poor. What are your "rates" in SK?
bman

Lindsay said...

Congrats on the new job. Sounds so exciting! In answer to Bman, average teachers here make $45000 a year.

Amanda said...

Bman, you've got to keep in mind that the package here also including HOUSING.

And in America, the average teacher isn't making the amount of money you specified till they've been doing it a long, long time. And they sure aren't making that salary with a BA and no education degree or teaching certificate like they are in Korea.

Jennifer, congrats.

Sandra said...

Wow. That sounds exciting. And 11 weeks of (paid) vacation! woohoo :)

Cindee said...

Congrats on the job Jen!!!!!