Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Some randomness......





I have been getting settled in Korea the past week or so and I am finally starting to feel better.....whoaa!!!! Some of you have been asking what my place looks like and I will be posting some picture of it once I have it all set up. It was pretty barren when I first got here, so I plan on going shopping for some more furniture (or dumpster diving shall I say). So don't expect to see the pics for at least another month or so.



I have officially cooked 2 out of 5 boxes of Kraft Dinner since I have arrived here. I am just on my second week, so at the rate I am going, I will need to have a dump truck of this stuff. It's not that I really really like this stuff, but it's quick and easy to cook and it is a nice change from spicy Korean food.



This is the book I bought just a week before I returned to Canada, in hopes that I would have some free time to study Korean when I was at home. I am not too sure what I did with all my time when I was home, but I certainly didn't hit the books. Since I have been back to Korea I have been studying my butt off (haha, it's only been like a week). I have a private tutor that comes to my house to teach me an hour on Monday and a half hour on Wednesday and Friday. It will be really good if I keep up with it, because she is keeping me really busy with homework and such. Today I learned how to tell time and I have to memorize a paragraph about myself and recite it to her on Friday.



Just a bunch of jiberish to me right now, but some day it will make more sense.....ㅋㅋㅋㅋ



Here is a card I got from one of my old kindergarden students. He was so excited when I got back here. There were all so excited when I got back here........

I love my classes. Since I am not teaching kindergarden this month I feel that I have a lot more energy at the end of the day. But I still like to jump around and act goofy for all my kids, no matter what age.


Sung Hyun has been impressing me with his cooking skills. For dinner last night I had rice with bulgogi (seasoned beef), brown bread...................and kimchi.......ummm so delicious.

Korean thought of the day -- don't write anyone's name in red ink. That would mean the person is dead. Death is a highly emiotional issue in Korea. It's probably best to just avoid red pens entirely.

4 comments:

Beloved said...

Your kids are so cute. Aren't they all, though?

And the red ink thing--to this day I still can't write anyone's name in red. After Korea I just can't do it without thinking about the superstition. I think this is an Asian custom (writing names of the dead in red) because my Chinese students told me the same thing.

Why am I here??? said...

Hey beloved, I remember reading something about this before I went to Korea last year......and all I thought was oh, weird. But the same has happened for me. I even find it hard to correct papers if I am using a red pen.........I always accidently write at the top "GOOD JOB _______(students name)" with it too. I don't think the parents are too happy with that. I guess I will just have to swear off red pens all together....ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

Amy Teacher said...

Hey Jenn,

I've got the exact same book... cool! If you check out the inside of the front cover, you'll notice just how big of a pro-star Steve is. He REALLY knows his stuff.
A while back, I found a site online with Steve and so I've been following his online lessons. They're much more interesting and helpful.
Here's the link:

http://learnkorean.elanguageschool.net/course/view.php?id=9

Why am I here??? said...

SWEET!!!!!!!! Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you for that site, it certainly will help alot.