Tuesday, January 02, 2007

ONE DAY LEFT.........

It was not so long ago that I anticipated my flight back to Canada and the more I thought about seeing my friends and family at the airport the more ecstatic I became (especially those blizzards.........haha). And what a welcome back it was. There were so many wonderful people who greeted me with open arms and big eyes (yes that was the first thing I noticed when I got home was how big everyones eyes really are). The first weekend I had a welcome back party with some highschool friends. Sitting around and catching up on life was exactly what I needed. I want to thank you all for being so wonderful to me.

For those of you who I unfortunately did not get to see or spend very much time with then I want to say you are still with me in my thoughts. And although we did not meet up now there will be a time in the not so distant future that we will come together again. Until that time we will have to converse via the internet.

Dad, sorry for arguing with you so much when I was back. I kinda get the feeling that we are both stubborn therefore it is always a battle as to who will budge first. Nonetheless, I LOVE YOU always............Everytime it rains while I am in Korea I am remined of you. I will never forget my younger days when we would sit outside on the steps, smell the fresh rain and cuddle under the blanket...........** nose rubs forever **

My dear mother.............where to start............well I have to say you are the most important person in my life (and you always will be). AND you are also my best friend. You have taught me so much and stood by myside NO MATTER WHAT. I know you don't really want me to return to Korea, but you are kind enough to let me go and explore and grow all by myself. I look up to you and admire the person you are and can only hope that I will be as good of a person as you are someday. I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU!!!!!

I am blessed with some wonderful friends and kick-ass parents, so THANK YOU ALL!!!!

As I sit here typing this post I am so overwhelmed with emotion. When people ask me how long I will be in Korea I say jokingly "one slash five years", simply because I myself have no clue how long I will actually be there. Right now all I can honestly say is "my home is in Canada, but my heart is in Korea", what will happen from here is beyond me.

Since I have been back to Canada I have quickly adapted to the way of life here. When I hang out with my friends it's almost as if I had never left. I was in Korea for a year????? what are you talking about???? Yesterday I pulled out my pictures that I neatly stored away when I first came back home. As I looked at pictures of my kids (i mean students) I was wondering how they were doing now. Going to work, seeing the same students can become routine and sometimes you can't wait for a day of to just relax. But as I stared at my students I couldn't help but feel sad. I missed them!!!!!!! I thought about all the good times we had together and wondered if I had left a special place in their heart as they did in mine.

I can't wait to go back to Korea and be touched by the purity of youth, the innocence of children, laughter and love. I can't wait to fill the minds of those young student with hopes and dreams and the realization that nothing is impossible. I can't wait to embrace the Korean way of life (the good, the bad). I can't wait to run up to my boyfriend and touch him (oh how I have missed that so much) and kiss him (but not in public). I can't wait to see all those teachers at my school, both Western and Korean, and start anew; bury the past and start fresh. I can't wait to take on Korea and everything it has to offer.............

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a little sad that you are heading back to Korea but at the same time am very proud of your spirit of adventure. You have grown leaps and bounds in the last year. I wish you happiness forever, success in all you do, and most of all I will love and support you forever. Take care and be safe....your life awaits you.

Alexis_the Viking said...

Jennnnn, have fun :)
also I wrote on your xmas dinner post :) please read....

ps. I am coming to visit you if I am not poor by the end of this!!! Be prepaired LOL

JENNA said...

Good luck Jennifer!!

Beloved said...

Safe travels! I know what you're headed towards (because I've been that way myself) and it's all you're expecting it to be and more. I wouldn't trade my time (not a single second) in Korea for anything; it was absolutely priceless. I am a different (and better) person today for having spent 6 years there.

Anonymous said...

Will miss you lots Jen, and sad that we didn't get to see each other while you were home....but I will still be here when you get back, and will keep sending the pics of Alex your way so that you can at least see her from afar growing up!! Have a safe trip back my friend and give that "Lover" a hug from me!!

-Marie

Amy Teacher said...

Welcome back to Korea...

I know that you're sad to leave all those awesome friends and loving family folks, but I'm HAPPY... you're coming back to where I'm at... Korea! Cool!

I'll be heading out to Canada January 27th to Feb. 17th. So I'll have my turn to go through all the emotions she are experiencing. Last year I visited but it was a mere week and it was s sudden secret trip. So this means this upcoming trip is so important.. .haven't seen my friends in TWO years...wow!

Anyway, hope you have a safe journey back to Korea and remember... free drinks on international flights! Use that for your advantage or you'll have a heck of a time sleeping.

Welcome back!

Sarah said...

Im would be lying if I didn't say that I am somewhat sad that you are heading back to Korea....but I would be selfish to want to keep you here all to myself. You are a wonderful friend, person and teacher and you have so much to offer each and every person you meet. I as well am proud of you and agree that you have grown so much over this past year. You are finally beginning to take hold of the things in life that you deserve and I am so happy for you! I love you friend and remembere if there are no words that could possibly explain what you are tryin to say jus say umm umm umm......Be safe and take care of yourself!

Why am I here??? said...

Thank you everyone who has taken the time to comment on this post.

MOM -- you are so wonderful

KIM -- hope you are having a blast on your journey..........I'll be waiting for you.....

JENNA -- we never got together for that 'special date' hhahahahahah, I guess there's always next year

BELOVED -- I can only hope that my time in Korea will be as memorable as yours.

MARIE -- awwww, thanks. Time passes by so quickly, your girl will be all grown up by the time I meet her. Make sure you give your lover a big kiss from me ;)

AMY -- I miss home already!!!! I hope you have a blast in Canada, please let me know what kinda things are 'new and exciting' for you. Free drinks on international flights...........damn it, I so didn't know about that. Your puppy is so adorable....

FRIEND..... Everytime I hang with you I have a BLAST. What will I do without you for another year.........ummm ummm ummmm (I will never forget that night). I miss you and love you......don't forget me.