Tuesday, December 12, 2006

DIRTY LAUNDRY..........

Just some stuff I have been thinking about lately..............

........... The possibilities of the internet are quite spectacular since it is ever changing. Blogging is somewhat of a new phenomenon, that allows users to express political view points, opinions, useless jargon etc. There is no doubt that the internet is a vital medium for communication, however, sometimes I think (hey this is only MY opinion -- case in point) blogging, and the internet in general, creates a false sense of safety where people freely air their dirty laundry. I don't know how many sites that I have stumbled upon where I am left feeling uncomfortable with the information I have read. Now I don't have a problem when people share this kinda stuff with close family and friends, but along with that comes a huge sea of strangers in this internet world. I sometimes question the intention of the writer; what is their motive for sharing such personal information?

Anyways, these thoughts are in no means meant to hurt of offend anyone, but rather an expression of some jumbled thoughts that have been perplexing me. I remember writing an essay in university about the positive and negative effects of the internet. And like any good debate there are valid arguments on both sides. So with that being said, I turn the question over to you my readers (all 5 of you, haha). What is your OPINION on blogging?

2 comments:

Amy said...

Hmmm... I can't help but get the feeling I'm one of those people whom you're pointing the finger at, that's cool. I can handle the heat.
I suppose everyone has the freedom to speak their opinion and well... some are just using the web as a means to do so.
As for "airing dirty laundry", depends what you define as dirty laundry. If what people are doing is "airing dirty laundry" as you claimed it as being, then well, so be it.
I personally see no harm in it. I rather let it out there as oppose to surpressing it, bottling it inside, and letting it eat me up. Half the time no one is really listening anyways.
But that's just my opinion.

P.S. I love the new luck of your homepage, although I found your old style with the pink to be very cute too.

Why am I here??? said...

What peeked my interest in this topic was when my dad stumbled across some random blog speaking about serious personal problems (yes I know my dad reads blogs too). I was curious as to why this individual wrote such information, was it a cry for help? But who am I to judge, because really I don't know anything about this person. Anyways, this is all just besides the point because it is what peaked my interest and got me off on a tangant regarding internet crimes (or more suble, the effect of the internet).

Anyways, by no means does your site reveal such details in which I am refering to, so no fingers coming your way Amy (as of yet, haha joke). Besides, I love your website and I do agree that it is better to let it out than keep it all bottled inside.

Well I got to thinking about blogging and the whole concept behind it (and if there is one thing I like to do, it is think). Sure it is a great medium to express your emotions or communicate with others, but I am a little more weary than you because I do see the potential for some harm (and I am also refering to the internet in general). The harm may not be physical, but we don't have to look far to see the possibilities of other damaging effects, some of which I have experienced first hand (mine just happened to be a simple misunderstanding, that exploded into a massive fight and resulted in an ended friendship).

Ahhh all this talk might just be the justice major in me coming out (or the pessimist).

Please do continue to express your opinion (especially on my site;)

ps, I am studying Korea with the Survival Korean text. I saw on your site that you posted a beginner lesson with the author of the book. Can you direct me where to go online so that I don't have to stumble through this book alone? I would appreciate some help.

Thanks Amy