Saturday, November 11, 2006

REMEMBRANCE DAY


November 11th is a day to remember. Remember those who fought and lost their lives in WWI, WWII, Korean war and other wars so that we as Canadians can enjoy the freedom we have today.

It wasn't until I returned from Korea that I realized that we as Canadians, and me in particular, take the concept of freedom for granted. Having lived in South Korea for 14 months I witnessed first hand the tensions of living in a hostile situation. South Koreans live in a constant state of threat from their communist neighbours to the north. Every South Korean male is required to do at least 2 years of mandatory military service. The Korean war which ended in 1953, has still not officially ended -- technically they are still at war.

Canadians wear poppy's as an act of remembrance. The poppy's significance to Remembrance Day is a result of Canadian military physician John McCrae's poem In Flanders Fields. The poppy emblem was chosen because of the poppies that bloomed across some of the worst battlefields of Flanders in World War I, their red colour an appropriate symbol for the bloodshed of trench warfare.

This is carved into a large stone in down-town Regina. Notice the KOREAN WAR is also mentioned
I was resposible for handing out wreaths to the different local organizations just before they placed them on the statue. It was here that I met the director of The Regina Korean Cultural Association. I spoke to him in Korean and he was quite impressed so we exchanged numbers. His wife is an english teacher in Seoul only 20 minutes away from where I used to work.

Where's Jen??
-- Salute --

1 comment:

Gil-chi said...

Hi, this is Charlie.
I used to drop by here and read your story in Canada. As you know, I barely write something on here. But I can not help writing something on this story. In Korea, on 11th November, many couples give PePeRo(Skinny style Korean snack food) each other for just fun. As I read your story, I remember I taught the Remembrance Day and its poppy as well in my class. I think bitterly because many Koreans forget those people who fought for freedom. Anyway, it's always good to read your story. I would like to use this story for my class if you would like. By the way, the naval uniform suits you well! :-)