Monday, September 18, 2006

Patience..........

So I have a ton of pictures to share with all of my fans, from last weekend and this past weekend. Unfortunately my internet is working extremely slow, so I am unable to upload them at the moment. Hopefully eveything will be back to normal soon.

In the mean time here is something to think about. This is what I wrote when I could not sleep:

TIME


The conceptualization of time is an imperative notion in the world today. Whether it is measured in seconds, minutes, days, weeks, months or even years, the ideology of time exists. With every breath we take, every thought we think, every movement we make, one thing remains certain: this nonspatial continuum in which events occur in apparently irreversible succession from the past to the present to the future – that which we call time – exists (for lack of a better word). There is simply no way to escape it.

In today’s day and age we live in a society that is not only aware of time and everything that goes along with it, but we are both obsessed and consumed by this simple system of intervals. Heaven forbid if we have to wait in a fast-food line up for more than five minutes, or if we have to get a book out at the library to do our research, for instance. On a more personal note, what if I had just walked a little faster down the stairs to catch the subway that I missed by only a split second, unaware of the fact that another train would be arriving in less than 5 minutes. In this fast paced, high tech society, time is of the essence. After all time is money, right?


If this is the case, then why do humans (me in particular) waste so much time? I create more work for myself then need be (hence I am not very productive), I spend too much time thinking instead of doing, and I certainly sleep longer than I should. But if time is so important in our lives, then let’s take a minute (or whatever you can spare) to think about the concept of what some like to call free time? What exactly is free time? Is this a period, point, duration, succession, of space that we get to use as desired? If so, then are we to feel guilty, happy, unsuccessful, lazy, joyous, and so forth if we use this so called free time to do as WE please? Do I really waste my day if I lie in bed with my pajamas on watching television?

I like to think of myself as a very time conscious person. I am rarely, if ever, late for a meeting, appointment, or work. I am always checking the clock throughout the day aware of what time it is and I certainly feel lost if I don’t have my watch on. I can’t wait for the weekend to begin, and when it finally comes I don’t know what to do with all my time. I must admit that my time management skills are lacking. But can anyone ever grasp the concept of time in its entirety? It’s quite clear that what happened in the past is in the past. But that is not what I am referring to. Rather, our perception of time changes as we age; a year is a lot longer for someone who is 22 as opposed to 55, and a day is a lot shorter to someone who is about to die than someone who is just born.

When we want time to speed up it goes by slowly, yet when we want time to slow down it speedily passes by without warning. Yet in all actuality it remains constant and consistent. A minute is sixty seconds no matter how you look at it – that remains a fact. We want to grow up fast so that we can become mature and responsible adults, yet we wish we were younger or that we had the ability to stop time. Can we ever find a balance? It definitely would be interesting to examine how our society would operate if there was no such thing as time – or at least less emphasis and importance placed on this idea of time.

So what can we make of all this time nonsense? Well one thing is for sure; we are only given so much time on this earth and we are never certain when that time is up. It will pass second by second, whether we want it to or not so the best we can do is to make the most of what is given to us and live life with no regrets.

……… okay that’s it for now, it’s past my bed time……..


No comments: