Monday, June 05, 2006

So who am I and what am I doing here ......... good question

I remember seeing a display booth mentioning something about teaching english overseas, while I was in my 2nd year of university. Casually I picked up an information package and looked it over. Wow, kinda interesting I thought. It was then that I made a promise to myself -- after I graduate I will go abroad to teach english.
http://www.globaltesol.com/

So here I am .......................

My journey to Korea started at the beginning of Septemeber 2005. Since I have been in Korea there are about three times that I have REALLY wanted to come home. After all, venturing to a foreign place alone is kinda scary.............right?? But I have managed to push throught the rough times and I certainly have enjoyed the good times. Thus far, I would not have changed a thing.

I have one main friend here in Korea. Her name is Liz and we do lots together, so you will get to learn more about how great she is. We have a great balance; she is the 'fly by the moment, party, have fun girl' and I am the 'realistic, let's think about this' girl. She has taught me to let my guard down and to enjoy myself in the moment (which is hard for me to do sometimes). I don't think my life in Korea would be as special if she did not share in it. Liz is my lifeline -- I will never forget her!!!!!

Oh I guess I better tell you what I do here. Well as you know I am an english teacher. Half of my day consists of teaching kindergarten a variety of subjects such as math, art, English, science and grammar. We had a semester change at our school just 3 months ago so I got a brand new set of students. Yup, little 5 year olds with NO ENGLISH. It has been a challenging yet rewarding time for me. Seeing them improve everyday makes me appreciate what I do here. Okay, the other half of my day consists of teaching older more advanced students only english. It's a nice balance because my kindies wear me out and always test my patience. In general, I can honestly say that I enjoy my job. I have a passion for teaching !!!!!!!

No comments: